Below is a copy of a “flyer” that I have created for outings with Jordan. I have handed a few out to people, but only when there has been a meltdown or when people feel the need to be critical of Jordan or our parenting methods. I really need to hand these out more often I think.
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO READ THIS PAPER
This letter has been handed to you because you have just witnessed an example of AUTISM.
– Autism is not contagious. But our son has a smile that is.
– You can not tell that our child is autistic by looking at him. And in fact, staring makes things much worse.
– The actions of our autistic child are often unpredictable due to sensory overloads in his brain. But this does not mean that our son is not brilliant.
– His meltdowns are not a result of being spoiled or bratty. He has emotionally broken down. No toy in the world could cause a child that much distress.
– Our son does not speak, but that doesn’t mean he has nothing to say. Besides, the love in his heart means much more than his words ever could.
– Questions are welcome but parenting advice is not. Unless you are the parent of an autistic child please do not tell us what we should be doing. Criticism will not help us. Understanding will.
– 1 out of 75 children has autism… Our son is 1 in a million.
Please learn more about AUTISM and visit: http://www.autismcanada.org
“People with AUTISM… do not lie, do not judge, do not play mind games. Maybe we should learn something from them.”